Time is our most precious asset, and yet we let it slip away.
Since we all get the same 24 hours in a day, why is it that some people achieve so much more with their time than others?
The answer lies in good time management, which requires an important shift in focus from activities to results.
Time management refers to the way that you organize and plan how long you spend on specific activities.
Time Management Mistakes:
- Failing to keep a to-do list. Prioritize the tasks on your list. I also like to use post-it notes. I have them everywhere! I’d be lost going to the grocery store if I didn’t have my shopping list with me!
- Not setting personal goals. Where do you want to be in six months? What about this time next year? Goals also help you decide what’s worth spending your time on, and what’s just a distraction.
- Procrastination. Often, procrastinators feel that they have to complete a task from start to finish, and this high expectation makes them feel overwhelmed and anxious. Instead, focus on devoting a small amount of time to starting, like 10 minutes. That’s all! Baby steps!
- Taking on too much. Are you a person who has a hard time saying ‘no’ to people? Learn the subtle art of saying ‘yes’ to the person, but ‘no’ to the task.
- Ineffectively scheduling tasks. Are you a morning person? Or do you find your energy picking up once the sun begins to set in the evening? All of us have different rhythms, that is, different times of day when we feel most productive and energetic. Schedule your work accordingly.
When you know how to manage your time you gain control of what you achieve.